Web Development Services has developed a Drupal module that integrates Drupal sites with Timeline. If you have a Tier 1 or Tier 2 "Template" site, the module is already available. If you have a Tier 3 "Custom" site, you can contact WDS to get the module added and integrated with your site. If you're unsure what type of site you have, refer to the WDS service offerings page or contact the Timeline administrator.
If you have a template site, follow these steps to connect your website to the Timeline (all of the following needs to be done as the site administrator for your Drupal site):
The Timeline integration works by importing Timeline events into your "Event" content type in Drupal. If a Timeline event is tagged, the tags will be imported into the "Event Category" taxonomy vocabulary in Drupal. If you already have events on your site that you've been entering directly into Drupal, keep in mind that the Timeline tags will co-exist with any custom Event Category taxonomy terms you've created.
Also note that events that were imported from Timeline cannot be modified in Drupal. Any changes you want to make to the event must be done directly in Timeline. The changes will automatically sync with your Drupal site within an hour.
- Log in to your Drupal site as the site admin
- From the Manage menu, click on Apps
- Click on PWDS Timeline
- Click on +Enable App
Once enabled on the site, you must then link your site to Timeline's server.
- Click on Configuration in the top menu
- Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Timeline Settings on the bottom right
- Click the button Authorize site with Timeline — this will take you into Timeline
- You need to create a Destination in Timeline. A destination is simply a name that you use in the Timeline publication system to target postings to your Drupal website. In most cases, you will want the destination name to be the same as your website name.
- If you already have a destination created you can select it. If you do not, click Add New Destination button and give your destination a descriptive name (e.g., the name of your Drupal website) and click OK.
- Select the new destination from the list
- Click the Authorize button. This will bring you back to Drupal.
Congratulations! Your Drupal site is now connected to Timeline. To setup your site to display imported events, please refer to the documentation that WDS maintains
You are now ready to start in Timeline that will display on your Drupal website.
- Click on the Publish icon in the top menu bar
- Create a Targeted or Tagged post (see specific directions here) and choose the Destination associated with your website from the External Destinations option
After an event has been published in Timeline, your Drupal site will automatically import it within an hour. You can also force your Drupal site to import them on-demand by visiting the Manual Import administration page under Timeline Settings.