Getting the right information
to the right people
at the right time
in the right way
Welcome to the Princeton Timeline
The Princeton Timeline is a software system developed by OIT that facilitates the distribution of time-critical information about activities, events, deadlines and announcements to the Princeton University community.
This website provides an overview of the Timeline and information on how to use the Timeline. If you have come here to access the application itself, you have three choices:
- If you are using a desktop or laptop computer, please click here to log into the Timeline.
- If you are using an iPhone or iPad, download the Princeton Timeline app from the App Store.
- If you are using an Android device, download the Princeton Timeline app from the Google Play Store.
The Princeton Timeline was developed in response to concerns expressed by students and administrators regarding effective communication. Students felt that they were being spammed by administrator emails, administrators felt that their important messages were being ignored by students. The goal of the timeline was to provide a solution to this problem, namely a system that would deliver "the right information to the right people at the right time in the right way."
- By the right information we mean information that is relevant and actionable.
- By the right people we mean information for whom it is intended or useful.
- By the right time we mean delivered in an actionable time frame.
- By the right way we mean delivered using the receiver's preferred media (webpages, email, text message, social media, calendars).
Please review the Overview Section, which details how the Timeline works and accomplishes the above-stated goal. The Glossary is useful for understanding the terms used to describe the Timeline and it's operation.
The How To section is intended for Publishers (people who want to post into the Timeline) and Consumers (people who want to access the Timeline). It includes How-To's, Quick Reference Guides and other documentation.
If you would like to learn more about the people involved in the design and management of the Timeline please consult the About Us page.