[Note: If your Listserv list is a discussion list (used for back-and-forth discussion) or has addresses that are outside Princeton, you should continue using Listserv and not migrate your list to Timeline.]
Listserv lists can be populated in one of 3 ways:
- From enterprise systems such as Campus Community, LDAP and PeopleSoft
- Thru the Cognos report writing system
- Thru the Listserv interface
To migrate a list from an enterprise system, or if you are unsure of the type of your list, please contact the Timeline administrator.
To migrate a lists from Cognos, please refer to the How-To: Import from Cognos Report instructions.
This document discusses how to migrate lists that are created and managed in the Listserv interface.
If you own or manage a Listserv list which you principally use to broadcast information about events, activities or announcements to a group of people at Princeton (as opposed to using the list for active, back-and-forth discussion), you may want to consider migrating your Listserv list to the Princeton Timeline. Timeline gives you and your list members a lot of options about how they want to receive information (e.g., not just by email, but by display on the Timeline app, or by text messages, or through postings to their Google or Exchange calendars). Check out the Overview write-up on this site if you want to learn more about what Timeline can do.
There is one caveat you should be aware of: currently, Timeline does not support non-Princeton users. So if you have list members who do not have a Princeton netID, then those users will not be migrated into Timeline. In this case, you should continue to use Listserv. We will update this write-up if/when support for non-Princeton users becomes available in Timeline.
If you decide that migrating your Listserv site to Timeline makes sense, here’s how to do it:
- Add user firstname.lastname@example.org as an owner of your Listserv list.
- Notify the Timeline administrator
- Send a final message to your Listserv list
- Have the SOC delete your Listserv list
Using the web interface to Listserv, add user email@example.com as an owner of your Listserv list. That sounds simple, but it actually involves the following sequence of convoluted steps (we know of no simpler way to do this):
- Point your web browser to lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa
- You’ll be taken to the Listserv Archives interface.
- If you are not already logged in, click the Log In button.
- Enter your Princeton email address and password.
- Click on List Management, then on List Dashboard. You’ll be taken to the List Management Dashboard.
- Find the list you want to migrate, and click [Configure] under the list name. You’ll be taken to the List Configuration page.
- Click the List Maintenance tag.
- Find the Owner= box on the screen, and add firstname.lastname@example.org to the list of owners.
- Click Save.
The next step is to notify the Timeline administrator that you would like your Listserv list migrated into Timeline. To do this, send an email to email@example.com specifying:
- Name of the Listserv list you would like to migrate.
- If you would like your group to be Open or Closed. Please see the Glossary if you are unsure.
- Your list membership's visibility: Public or Private.
Make sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org as an owner of this Listserv list before sending the email to the Timeline administrator.
You will be notified by the Timeline administrator once your group has been created. The group will have the same name as your Listserv list. People who are allowed to post to the Listserv list will be able to publish Targeted posts to this Timeline group.
You can now update the group membership and administrative rights directly in Timeline.
Once your group is created (and you are comfortable using it):
- Send a final email to your list through Listserv informing them that you've moved to Timeline.
- The list owner should send an email to email@example.com, asking them to delete the list. Make sure you tell them the list name and if you want to keep the archive.
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.